de beers history The Black Plague Historical Fiction Essay uncle ben death barn burning william faulkner summary interpretive paradigm dialogue between two friends about exam Dinner Party, by Mona Gardner, The Lottery, by Shirley Jackson, and A Man Who Had No Eyes, by MacKinlay Kantor how to cope with stress essay Does Vitamin B12 Effect Memory Essays why is religion classified as a universal social institution? latin american man complicated grief

AOL Search

Skip over navigation
SEARCH

News Results

• lithub.com - 6 days ago
    (Melville’s brothers were lawyers, with offices at 10 Wall Street ... I found it possible to wish that “Bartleby, the Scrivener” was just itself, a masterpiece without the challenge of ...
  • Slate - 1 year ago
    Think of Bartleby the Scrivener, the character from the Herman Melville story, who is overwhelmed by paperwork, or the law clerks in Dickens novels ... “So excruciating was the ...
  • Grantland - 6 years ago
    Sometimes Boardwalk Empire slides into Dick Tracy territory for me ... Van Alden repeats “I’d prefer not to,” because somebody also read Bartleby, the Scrivener in his Herman Melville ...
  • New York Times - 2 decades ago
    full of knowing and often hilarious references not only to things like crash-publication schedules but to literary works about haunted widowers (''Rebecca'') and unhappy ''writers'' ...
  • San Francisco Gate - 2 decades ago
    She has published five books of essays ... Scrivener," because of its subtitle: "A Story of Wall Street." Her reading of Bartleby's famously short and impervious responses to requests ...
  • legacy.com - 2 years ago
    I vividly remember his rants against the national debt and teaching us how to write logical essays. I never thought I was good ... class discussing such wonderful books as Billy Budd, ...
  • Daily Herald - 5 years ago
    This was a pedestal too high for design critic Michael Bierut, who responded with an essay called ... Melville's famously reticent scrivener, Bartleby, was forever intoning "I would ...
  • Issuu - 7 years ago
    (Double course; credit for Advanced Study in English 4 and ... The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro; Benito Cereno and Bartleby the Scrivener by Herman Melville; The Ballad of the ...
  • Observer - 1 decade ago
    Bartleby the Scrivener” is familiar to anyone who’s ever written a high-school essay on alienation—or ... to the ground zero of the slavery argument—his father-in-law, Lemuel Shaw, was ...
  • The New York Times Style - 3 years ago
    Herman Melville had two truly superlative works: “Moby-Dick,” the 600-page behemoth born in 1851, and “Bartleby, the Scrivener,” a little-known ... Bartleby is the scribe of a Wall ...
SEARCH
© Oath Inc. All Rights Reserved.